Dual Enrollment: Public Postsecondary Institutions Required to Accept Credits

Dual Enrollment: Public Postsecondary Institutions Required to Accept Credits

This database indicates whether public two- and four-year institutions other than the institution at which the student earned postsecondary credit are required to accept postsecondary credits earned through dual enrollment programs.

What these responses mean:

  • "Yes": state policy requires dual enrollment credits to be treated for transfer credit in the same manner as credits earned at the receiving institution, or requires dual enrollment courses to be included in a statewide guaranteed transfer list recognized by all public two-and four-year institutions in a state.
  • "No": Public postsecondary institutions are not required to accept postsecondary credits earned through dual enrollment programs.
  • "Unclear": State policy does not appear to address whether public postsecondary institutions must accept postsecondary credits earned through dual enrollment.

Why does it matter?

  • Dual enrollment courses live up to their potential when end-of-course measures ensure the level of content is equal to that of traditional postsecondary courses.
  • If courses meet rigorous criteria yet students are denied postsecondary credit, the value of dual enrollment as an option for students to save money and time to degree is negated.
  • Twenty-two states require all public two- and four-year institutions to accept college credits earned through dual enrollment programs.
  • Nineteen states and the District of Columbia do not require public postsecondary institutions to accept dual enrollment courses for transfer credit.
  • In two states, public postsecondary institutions must recognize credit earned through one state program, but are not required to recognize credit earned through another state program.
  • Policies in seven states are unclear or silent on this issue.
Note: This database does not include information about Tech Prep or early/middle college high school programs. Information about such programs is included in the ECS career/technical education and early/middle college high school databases.

Methodology: This information was collected from state statutes, rules and regulations, and state education agency Web sites. A profile was sent to each state for review and modification, as needed.

Last updated: December 2013

This database was compiled by Jennifer Dounay Zinth: 303.299.3689 or jdounay@ecs.org.

Public postsecondary institutions required to accept credits
Alabama No
Alaska No
Arizona Yes
Arkansas Yes, provided the course is an endorsed concurrent enrollment course and is listed as a “comparable” course in the Arkansas Department of Higher Education’s Arkansas Course Transfer System (ACTS). By definition, an “endorsed concurrent enrollment course” must be listed in ACTS. If the college/university offers the course at the freshman or sophomore level, the course is listed as a comparable course in ACTS.
California Unclear
Colorado Yes, provided a course is a gtPathways (Guaranteed Transfer) course. Students who successfully complete a state guaranteed general education course will receive transfer credits applied to graduation requirements in all majors at all public institutions unless a specific statewide articulation agreement exists. More than 500 lower-division general education courses in 20 subject areas are approved for guaranteed transfer.
Connecticut No
Delaware No
District of Columbia No
Florida Yes. Any course that has a statewide numbering system number must be accepted by Florida public institutions as if the course were taken at their institution. Private institutions are eligible but not required to participate in the statewide course numbering system.

The department of education must develop a statement on transfer guarantees to inform students and their parents, prior to enrollment in a dual enrollment course, of the potential for the dual enrollment course to articulate as an elective or a general education course into a postsecondary education certificate or degree program. The statement must be provided to each district school superintendent, for inclusion in the information provided to all secondary students and their parents as required above. The statement may also include additional information, including dual enrollment options, guarantees, privileges, and responsibilities.

A university designated as a preeminent state research university to require its incoming first-time-in-college to take a 9- to-12-credit set of unique courses specifically determined by the university and published on the university’s website. The university may stipulate that credit for such courses may not be earned through any acceleration mechanism, including dual enrollment.
Georgia Yes. The department, the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia, and the State Board of the Technical College System of Georgia must jointly establish policies, which must include developing a state-wide system for the transfer of college credits earned through dual credit courses.
Hawaii Yes. All Running Start course credits that would otherwise be transferable but for a student's grade level, must be transferable to any University of Hawaii system degree granting institution.
Idaho No
Illinois Yes. The Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) is a statewide transfer agreement with over 100 participating public and private two- and four-year institutions. All participating institutions agree to accept credits for specific courses. Since dual credit courses are identical to any other college course, the transferability for them is the same as for any on-campus college course.
Indiana Yes, if the course is offered by a state educational institution and the course is listed in the statewide core transfer library (such courses are transferable on all campuses of the state educational institutions. The educational institution other than the one the student completed the course with must also grant credit for courses that are subject to an articulation agreement, and may grant credit for other successfully completed courses.
Iowa No. However, legislation requires the creation of an Internet-based information clearinghouse that identifies Senior Year Plus program course transferability and articulation between the various Iowa postsecondary systems.
Kansas No
Kentucky Yes. Credit earned through dual enrollment/dual credit must be treated the same as credit earned on the college campus.
Louisiana All programs: Yes. The statewide articulation agreement between the board of regents and the state board of elementary and secondary education must provide for postsecondary institutions to accept credits earned in dual enrollment, and guarantee the statewide articulation of appropriate CTE programs and workforce development programs and transfer of course credits between secondary schools and technical and community colleges.

The board of regents must maintain a statewide course numbering system for postsecondary and dual enrollment education in all public secondary and postsecondary institutions, to facilitate program planning and the transfer of students and course credits between and among secondary and postsecondary educational institutions. Equivalent courses must be guaranteed to transfer to any educational institution participating in the statewide course numbering system.

In addition, the board of supervisors of community and technical colleges must collaborate with the state board to ensure that secondary students enrolled in postsecondary CTE and industry-based certification courses offered through local public school systems and secondary schools are also eligible to earn academic transfer modules that can be applied to award a student with partial or full credit in an equivalent academic course offered by any public state community college.
Maine General program: Yes

Dual enrollment career and technical education program: Unclear
Maryland No
Massachusetts Unclear
Michigan No
Minnesota No. However, the Board of Trustees of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities and the Board of Regents of the University of Minnesota must, and private nonprofit and proprietary postsecondary institutions should, award postsecondary credit for any courses in a program certified by the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (this applies to courses taught at a high school and taught by either a secondary teacher or postsecondary faculty member).
Mississippi No
Missouri Yes. A receiving institution must transfer and treat dual credit courses in the same way it would credit earned on the institution’s campus, provided this does not compromise the integrity of the associate degree or 42-hour general education block.

However, MDHE Dual Credit Policy suggest that students should expect to transfer credit up to the equivalent of five college courses. Students who wish to transfer more than five dual credit courses are encouraged to consult the institution to which they intend to transfer to determine if the institution has a policy regarding the use of dual credit courses to complete a college degree.
Montana Yes. All courses developed by a Montana University System campus for dual enrollment or dual credit purposes, including online Digital Academy delivery, will common course numbered and as such, will directly transfer on a one-to-one basis across the Montana University System.
Nebraska No
Nevada Yes
New Hampshire No
New Jersey Yes
New Mexico Yes. Any course in the general education core may be offered for dual credit. Dual credit courses in the general education core must be transferable to any institution, and must count as fulfilling a required lower-division course.
New York Unclear
North Carolina Yes. 2011 legislation directs the North Carolina Community College System, University of North Carolina (UNC) General Administration, and the North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities to develop a plan for articulation of a college transfer certificate to all UNC institutions and participating independent colleges and universities. North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities, Inc., must also be included in the development of the plan if it chooses to participate. College transfer certificates must require the successful completion of 30 credit hours of college transfer courses, including English and math, for qualified high school juniors and seniors.
North Dakota Yes. All dual-credit courses have equal transferability status within the North Dakota University System in accordance with the General Education Requirement Transfer Agreement (GERTA) and other transfer agreements.
Ohio Yes. Ohio's public two- and four-year colleges and universities must accept transfer credit for successfully completed (as defined in transfer policy), college-level courses from Ohio institutions of higher education which are accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Higher Learning Commission or other regional accrediting commissions which have been recognized by the Council On Higher Education Accreditation.
Oklahoma Yes. The State System has a course equivalency matrix that allows students to see how a course will transfer among institutions. The institutions are committed to honoring this agreement.
Oregon No
Pennsylvania No. However, community colleges, member institutions of the state system of higher education and state-related institutions may not refuse to recognize and award credit for a concurrent course simply because the credit was earned through a concurrent enrollment program.

*Program currently inactive due to inadequate state funds*
Rhode Island Unclear
South Carolina Yes, provided a general education course is on the list of universally transferable courses maintained by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education. For technical education courses, dual enrollment credit must transfer to other public institutions if the student enrolls in a technical college after high school which allows for such a course to be counted toward an associate degree, diploma, or certificate.
South Dakota No. Postsecondary institutions must award credit only if the college credit is granted by a university with which the South Dakota Board of Regents has a dual credit agreement, or the college credit is granted by an institution accredited by the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (NACEP).
Tennessee Yes. Dual enrollment courses listed in the Tennessee Transfer Pathways are recognized for transfer credit by all Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) institutions. Courses listed as general ed. typically meet all TBR institutions’ requirements; the link identifies those recognized only at specific institutions.

A peer institution (i.e., four-year, two-year, or college of applied technology) must award the student credit for a dual credit course if the student passes the course’s challenge examination with a score equal to or higher than the cut score required by the institution. However, each higher education institution awarding the credit determines whether the class credit is applied toward a major or the requirements of a specific program, or as an elective. A postsecondary institution may also set the cut score on the challenge examination results that is required for the award of credit in a major or a specific program or as an elective at the institution.

Participating high schools and postsecondary institutions developing unique dual credit or dual enrollment opportunities (outside statewide courses) must notify students prior to such dual credit course being taught of the availability of transfer of the course.

Private postsecondary institutions are encouraged to assess the statewide agreement produced by the consortium and determine which courses, if any, qualify for award of college credit at the institution. If a private institution determines a course qualifies for award of college credit, the institution, in addition to any institutional publication made of this fact, may notify the department of education of the potential for award of college credit for such course at the institution, for the department to disseminate this information to LEAs for notification of high school students.
Texas Unclear. Each institution of higher education must adopt a policy to grant undergraduate course credit to entering freshmen who have successfully completed one or more college courses while in high school. Policy does not specify whether credit must be applied toward an institution’s general core or major requirements, or may only be awarded for elective credit.
Utah Yes
Vermont Unclear
Virginia No
Washington Running Start: Yes. Running Start courses in the general transfer agreement are recognized in the same manner as traditional postsecondary courses. However, each public instiution in the state varies in general distribution requirements.

College in the High School: Not set in state policy
West Virginia No
Wisconsin Not specified
Wyoming Yes

© 2021 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3636 or mzatynski@ecs.org.

Your Education Policy Team  www.ecs.org