Statewide Guaranteed Transfer of an Associate Degree

Transfer and Articulation

Statewide Guaranteed Transfer of an Associate Degree

June 2018

Statewide guaranteed transfer of an associate degree: Guarantees students who are awarded an associate degree before transfer to a four-year institution can transfer all of their credits to the four-year institution and enter at the junior-standing level. The majority of policies state that students are not required to complete any further general education courses.

Yes/No Description Citation
Alabama No Does not have guaranteed transfer of an associate degree.
Alaska No The policy says institutions are "encouraged" to develop degree programs that build upon a student's prior experience. This is not mandating guaranteed transfer of an associate. Board Policy 10.04.064
Arizona No Not in legislation or board policy. However, AZ Transfer Pathways offers guaranteed transfer of some associate degrees. This is not "statewide".
Arkansas Yes Created the statewide transfer agreement. State minimum core curriculum means 60 semester hours of lower-division coursework that satisfy the requirements of an associate of arts/science/teaching and selected baccalaureate degrees at all public institutions. Requires a four-year public institution to admit a transfer student to junior status in a baccalaureate degree program if the student completed a transfer degree or state minimum core curriculum. Ark. Code Ann. § 6-61-231
California No There is a policy but it only affects the CSU and community college systems. The University of California and the community college system signed a MOU in 2018 to provide tranfser of an associate degree between institutions including guaranteed admission for qualified students. Cal. Com. Code § 66721.4 and § 66722.2
Colorado Yes The CCHE must establish and enforce statewide degree transfer agreements between two-year and four-year institutions. Statewide degree transfer agreements must include provisions under which state institutions must accept all credit hours of acceptable course work for automatic transfer from an associate of arts or science degree program. Students must be enrolled at junior status and will not be required to complete any additional courses to fulfill general education requirements. Colo. Rev. Stat. § 23-1-108
Connecticut No Requires a common lower-division core and guaranteed transfer of an associate's degree. However, this only applies to community colleges and the Connecticut State Colleges & Universities, which does not include the UCONN system. The UCONN system has an agreement with the community colleges but only for three major areas. CSCU Board of Regents Transfer and Articulation Policy
Delaware No Does not have guaranteed transfer of an associate degree statewide, however Delaware State University allows an associate degree to transfer from selected two-year institutions. Also, Delaware Tech has articulation agreements for certain associate degrees that will guarantee transfer.
Florida Yes The State Board of Education and the Board of Governors must enter into a statewide articulation agreement. The articulation agreement must specifically provide that every associate in arts graduate will have met all general education requirements and must be granted admission to the upper division of a state university or Florida College System institution. Fla. Stat. § 1007.23
Georgia Yes AA and AS degrees are primarily intended to be transfer degrees leading to a BA degree. All degrees consist of 60 semester hours including the 42 core curriculum and 18 of lower division requirements related to a BA. All AS degrees offered by the TCSG institutions must have articulation agreements with the USG. Board Policy and 3.3.5
Hawaii Yes Completing an AA from a UHCC fulfills admission and lower division general education core requirements at all UH baccalaureate degree-granting institutions. System Policy E5.209
Idaho Yes Students who complete requirements for an AA or AS at a regionally accredited postsecondary institution in Idaho will be considered as satisfying the general education requirement upon transfer to a four-year public institution in Idaho and will not be required to complete any additional general education requirements. Board Policy 3.5
Illinois Yes Beginning in the 2016-17 academic year a community college student who earns an associate degree for transfer (AA or AS) that is consistent with degree requirements of the Illinois Community College Board and the Board of Higher Education and aligned with the policies and procedures of the Illinois Articulation Initiative, is deemed eligible for transfer into the baccalaureate program of a State university if the student meets requirements of the transfer degree and major-specific prerequisites and obtains a minimum GPA of 2.0. Student transfers in at junior status if they meet all requirements, completed all lower-division prerequisites and meets admission requirements. Students do not need to complete more than 60 additional courses at the four-year institution. 110 ILCS 150/10
Indiana No Requires each educational institution to create a single articulation pathway for programmatic areas in which significant numbers of students may first obtain an AS or AA with the intent of obtaining a bachelor degree. Full transfer is not guaranteed. Ind. Code § 21-42-6-4
Iowa Yes Requires the directors of each community college to enter into a collective statewide articulation agreement with the state board of regents to provide for seamless transfer of academic credits from a completed AA or AS offered by a community college to a baccalaureate degree program offered by any institution governed by the state board of regents. Iowa Code § 260C.14-22
Kansas Yes All AAS degrees can transfer as a block to articulated programs at community colleges, technical colleges and those universities that have program to program articulation. Credits can also transfer on a course-by-course basis. The policy refers to students transferring with completed AA or AS degrees and these students will be given junior standing. Board Policy Ch. 3 Section 2
Kentucky Yes The Council on Postsecondary Education must facilitate the development and implementation of a statewide agreement for alignment of Kentucky Community and Technical College System lower-division AA and AS coursework that must be accepted and fully credited to related bachelors degree programs. Guarantees that graduates of an AA or AS program is deemed to have met all general education requirements. Students transferring are not required to complete any additional courses if completed an AA or AS degree. These students also receive priority for admission over out-of-state students. Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 164.2951
Louisiana Yes The Board of Regents must create statewide articulation agreements that guarantee that students who earned an AA or AS and transfer to a four-year institution are deemed to have met all general education and other core curriculum requirements and must be admitted to the upper division of the four-year. If the AA or AS is approved by the council for transfer the student is not required to take any additional general education courses. Students also receive priority admission over out-of-state students. La. Stat. Ann. § 17:3163
Maine Yes A person who earns an associate degree from the Maine Community College System must be allowed to transfer credits earned to the University of Maine System for use toward a baccalaureate degree. Me. Stat. tit. 20-A, § 10907-A
Maryland Yes The Commission must develop and implement a statewide transfer agreement requiring at least 60 credits of general education, elective and major courses a student earns at a community college are transferrable to any public institution for credit toward a bachelors degree. Md. Code, Com. Law § 11-207
Massachusetts Yes Allows community college students who complete a designated AA or AS degree the ability to fully transfer their credit, guarantee admission and a tuition discount to a linked baccalaureate program. Board Policy 11 AAC 16-20
Michigan No The Michigan Transfer Agreement allows this but not all institutions must comply.
Minnesota No Only applies to the Minnesota State system and does not apply to all associate degrees. Board Policy 3.21, Part 6, Subpart D
Mississippi Yes IHL institutions will accept all transferable courses with a grade of "C" or higher completed as part of an associate degree. Once transferred, students can begin taking courses within a declared major or to fulfill prerequisites for a major. Board Policy Section 520
Missouri Yes The AA degree is designed as a statewide general studies transfer degree. Students who complete the AA degree will have completed a general education program that is consistent with the statewide general education policy which has a 42 semester hour block of courses. Depending on the courses taken and the BA degree they transfer to they could need to complete additional courses required for that major. Board Policy Section III
Montana No It specifies that the AA or AS is designed for transfer to a four-year institution but does not guaranteed transfer of all 60 credits. You are guaranteed to transfer and satisfy the approved general education program that is within the 60 credits. Board Policy 301.12
Nebraska No The Nebraska Transfer Initiative allows for the transfer of an associate degree but it is voluntary and not in policy. Nebraska State College System allows 30 credits from the associate degree to transfer.
Nevada Yes The completion of the AA, AS and associate of business degree at a community college automatically fulfills the lower-division general education requirements at any other NSHE institution. Nev. Rev. Stat. 396.568 states that a student who completes an associate degree is deemed to have completed the course of study required of a sophomore and should enter at junior status. Board of Regents Title 4, Chapter 14, Section 15 and Nev. Rev. Stat. § 396.568
New Hampshire No Does not have guaranteed transfer of an associate degree.
New Jersey Yes Each public institution must establish and enter into a collective statewide agreement providing seamless transfer of academic credits from a completed AA or AS degree to a baccalaureate degree program. The agreement must include a list of general education core courses, policies and procedures for transfer and application of academic credits from a completed AA or AS degree program to a baccalaureate program, policies and procedures for the implementation of an appeals process, polices and procedures for an annual review and update of the agreement and policies and procedures for data collection. N.J. Rev. Stat. § 18A:62-47
New Mexico Yes The commission is authorized to define, publish and maintain modules of lower-division course work in various fields of study. These modules consist of 64 semester hours and are intended to provide students with two-year programs which will be acceptable in transfer to any New Mexico university offering a bachelor's degree in the particular field of study. Each institution shall accept for transfer course credits earned by a student at any other institution that are included in a transfer module. Transfer credits shall be accepted to meet lower-division or upper division requirements for one or more programs of study provided that those requirements apply equally to transfer students and students originating their study at the institution. N.M. Stat. Ann. § 21-1B-3
New York No Two different system policies.
North Carolina Yes Students who graduate with a two-year AA or AS degree are guaranteed admission to a four-year institution in the UNC system. Students must have an overall GPA of at least 2.0 and must meet all application requirements at the receiving institution. When students transfer they are guaranteed junior standing. Students are also assumed to have fulfilled the UNC lower-division general education requirements. Comprehensive Articulation Agreement Board Policy (mandated participation in 2013 with S.L. 2013-72)
North Dakota No A student is deemed to have completed the lower division general education requirement of their new institution if the general education course work meets the requirement of the institution they transferred from. Students completing an AA or AS meet the 36 hour lower division general education requirements. In all other cases, general education courses from the 36 apply to the appropriate requirement of the institution and the number of credits required to complete the general education requirement in each area is determined by the policies of the institution the course are transferred to. Does not guarantee complete transfer of an AA or AS. Board Policy 403.7
Ohio Yes The chancellor must update and implement the policies and procedures established to ensure that any associate degree offered at a state institution may be transferred and applied to a bachelor degree program in an equivalent field at any other state institution without unnecessary duplication or institutional barriers. Ohio Rev. Code § 3333.16
Oklahoma Yes There is no language surrounding the requirement to fully accept an associate degree there is a guarantee of full transfer for lower-division courses at any state institution. However, The policy states that if a student has completed an AA or AS degree, the lower-division (freshman and sophomore) general education requirement of the baccalaureate degree shall be the responsibiltiy of the institution awarding the associate degree. The Baccalaureate degree in all Oklahoma senior-level institutions shall be awarded in recognition of lower-division combined with upper-division (junior and senior) work. Board Policy 3.10.4
Oregon Yes Defines an Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer (AAOT) degree as a state-approved associate degree that is intended to prepare students to transfer into upper division courses for a baccalaureate degree. Any student who earns an AAOT will have met the lower division general education requirements of any public university in Oregon. Students transfer with junior level status for registration purposes. Programs and majors may have additional requirements students need to meet. OAR 589-006-0050(5)
Pennsylvania Yes The Statewide Program-to-Program Articulation Agreements allow students at PA TRAC institutions to transfer from an associate's degree to a bachelor's degree in similar programs of study at enter with junior status. 24 P.S. § 20-2002-C
Rhode Island No The JAA allows students who start at CCRI to enroll in the agreement and be conditionally admitted to RIC or URI. Within this program a student must earn a 2.4 GPA and 60 credits that will be applied to a bachelor's degree. This is a program however, it does include all three public institutions. Joint Admissions Agreement
South Carolina Yes Transfer blocks will be accepted in their totality toward meeting baccalaureate degree requirements at all four-year public institutions in relevant four-year degree programs. Any student who has completed an AA or AS degree at any public two-year South Carolina institutions which contains the total coursework found in the Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences or the Science and Mathematics Transfer Block will automatically be entitled to junior-level status at whatever public senior institution they have been admitted to. South Carolina Commission on Higher Education Academic Transfer & Articulation Policy
South Dakota Yes Students who earned an AA or AS from any Regental campus and transfers to another Regental campus will be deemed to have fulfilled the general education requirements. These students must fulfill all college, major, minor, certificate, and other degree requirements of the accepting campus. Board Policy 2:26
Tennessee Yes A student who earned an AA or AS from a Tennessee community college is deemed to have met all general education and university parallel core requirements for transfer to a Tennessee public university as a junior. Admission to certain programs, schools or colleges within the university remain competitive. Tenn. Code. Ann. § 49-7-202(f)
Texas No An associate degree could be fully transferrable but there are no guarantees other than the general core curriculum.
Utah Yes Institutions must enable community college students who fully complete an AA or AS and a prescribed pre-major area to transfer with upper-division status to any USHE four-year institution without taking any lower-division pre-major courses at the receiving institution. Board Policy R470-7.2.2
Vermont No There are agreements between the Community College of Vermont system and the Vermont State Colleges system.
Virginia Yes Transfer degrees offered by two-year colleges should be comprised of courses recognized as legitimate and equivalent to those offered at four-year institutions. Two-year colleges are responsible for creating courses and four-year institutions are responsible for recognizing those courses as equivalent. Students who have earned a recognized transfer associate degree should be considered to have met lower general education requirements at public four-year institutions. They should be considered to have attained junior standing. State Council of Higher Education for Virginia State Policy on College Transfer
Washington Yes An associate degree offered by Washington community colleges may be used to satisfy the lower division general education program of baccalaureate institutions within the state. These agreements ensure that a student who completes an AA or designated direct transfer degree at a public community college in the state will have satisfied the lower division general education requirements at the various baccalaureate institutions. The transfer student will generally have junior-level standing at the receiving institution. Intercollege Relations Commission Guidelines
West Virginia Yes With the exception of those enrolling in specialized four-year programs, students completing two-year associate degrees at public institutions in the state are generally transferred in at the junior level status and be able to graduate with the same number of total credit hours as a non-transfer student. Procedural Rule 133-17-3.2g
Wisconsin Yes A student who has earned an associate degree containing those system-wide requirements from an institution in the University of Wisconsin System and transfers to another institution in the system will be considered as having fulfilled the general education distribution or breadth requirements of the university. Board Policy 4-4
Wyoming Yes Students who have completed an AA, AS, or AB degree from a Wyoming Community College receive credit toward completion of the lower division general education requirements included in the University Studies Program with exception of the First-Year Seminar requirement. Graduates must have completed a minimum of 64 college-level credits with a minimum of 2.0 GPA. Wyoming Community College Articulation Agreement

© 2021 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3636 or

Your Education Policy Team