State Profile

School Leader Certification and Preparation Programs

State Profile - Connecticut

April 2018


The data included in this 50-state comparison is specific to school leader preparation program and certification requirements. There may be additional requirements that are not indicated. For additional information, questions or comments, please contact Deven Scott at

Has the state adopted leadership standards? Yes. Connecticut has adopted the Connecticut School Leadership Standards. Source
Which state entity approves traditional school leader preparation programs? Connecticut State Board of Education Conn. Agencies Regs. 10-145d-9
Does state policy require school leader preparation programs to align with adopted standards? Yes. Educator preparation programs must align with Connecticut Standards, defined as CAEP standards. Programs must also ensure that candidates demonstrate current Connecticut licensure competencies and the Code of Professional Responsibility for School Administrators.
Conn. Agencies Regs. 10-145d-11
Does state policy require field experience as part of school leader preparation programs? No state policy found. However, CAEP standards require advanced preparation programs to include varied and developmental clinical settings that allow opportunities for candidates to practice applications of content knowledge and skills. Source
Does state policy allow for innovative or experimental preparation programs? No state policy found.
Certification and Licensure
What are the initial school leader certification requirements? To qualify for an Initial Educator Certificate for Intermediate Administrator or Supervisor, a candidate must:
  • Hold a master's degree from an approved institution
  • Complete 18 semester hours of graduate credit, in addition to the master's degree
  • Complete a planned program of preparation for administrative and supervisory personnel and receive institutional recommendation, which requires successful completion of the Connecticut Administrator Test (CAT)
  • Complete graduate study in 1) psychological and pedagogical foundations of learning, 2) curriculum development and program monitoring, 3) school administration, 4) personnel evaluation and supervision and 5) contemporary educational problems and solutions from a policymaking perspective
  • Complete a course of study in special education comprised of at least 36 clock hours, which must include study in understanding the growth and development of exceptional children, including handicapped and gifted and talented children and children who may require special education, and methods for identifying, planning for and working effectively with special-needs children in the regular classroom
  • Have 50 school months of successful teaching experience or service.
Conn. Agencies Regs. 10-145d-574
What are the requirements for school leaders licensed out-of-state? Out-of-state applicants are held to the same requirements as in-state candidates.

However, an applicant who has completed at least 30 school months, within the last ten years, of successful service as an administrator or supervisor in an approved public/non-public school in another state or three years as a managerial or professional staff member for a state education agency may receive a Provisional Educator Certificate for Intermediate Administrator or Supervisor without completion of the Connecticut Administrator Test (CAT).
Conn. Agencies Regs. 10-145d-575
Is there an alternative route to initial certification? An approved public or independent institution of higher education, a local or regional board of education, a regional educational service center or a private, nonprofit teacher or administrator training organization may seek approval to offer alternative route to certification programs for school administrators. State policy provides additional requirements. Conn. Gen. Stat. Ann. § 10-145p 

© 2021 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3636 or

Your Education Policy Team