State Profile

School Leader Certification and Preparation Programs

State Profile - Indiana

April 2018


The data included in this 50-state comparison is specific to school leader preparation program and certification requirements. There may be additional requirements that are not indicated. For additional information, questions or comments, please contact Deven Scott at

Has the state adopted leadership standards? Yes. Indiana has adopted the Indiana Educator Standards for School Leader -Building Level. 511 Ind. Admin. Code 13-1-1

Which state entity approves traditional school leader preparation programs? Indiana State Board of Education 511 Ind. Admin. Code 13-1-1
Does state policy require school leader preparation programs to align with adopted standards? Yes. Administrator preparation programs must align with current educator standards for building level administrators. 511 Ind. Admin. Code 13-1-1
Does state policy require field experience as part of school leader preparation programs? No state policy found.
Does state policy allow for innovative or experimental preparation programs? No state policy found.
Certification and Licensure
What are the initial school leader certification requirements? To qualify for a Building Level Administrator License, a candidate must:
  • Hold an initial, standard, provisional, proficient or accomplished practitioner Instructional or School Counselor License with at least one content area
  • Hold a master's degree or higher from an accredited institution
  • Complete an approved program in building level administration
  • Have at least two years of experience as a teacher
  • Hold a valid CPR certification from a department-approved provider
  • Obtain a suicide prevention training certificate
  • Receive a passing score on the Indiana CORE Assessment: School Administrator.
511 Ind. Admin. Code 15-6-28

What are the requirements for school leaders licensed out-of-state? In addition to verified out-of-state education and work experience comparable to in-state candidates, out-of-state applicants holding a valid, comparable certificate issued by another state must obtain a valid CPR certification from a department-approved provider and a suicide prevention training certificate.

In addition, out-of-state applicants must provide official score reports for tests that support the out-of-state certificate.
Is there an alternative route to initial certification? No state policy found.

© 2021 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3636 or

Your Education Policy Team