State Profile

School Leader Certification and Preparation Programs

State Profile - Maine

April 2018


The data included in this 50-state comparison is specific to school leader preparation program and certification requirements. There may be additional requirements that are not indicated. For additional information, questions or comments, please contact Deven Scott at

Has the state adopted leadership standards? Yes. Maine has adopted Administrator Candidate Standards. Code Me. R. tit. 05-071 Ch. 114, § 2
Which state entity approves traditional school leader preparation programs? Maine State Board of Education Code Me. R. tit. 05-071 Ch. 114, § 3
Does state policy require school leader preparation programs to align with adopted standards? Yes. The curriculum for school building level administrator preparation programs must prepare candidates to meet the Administrative Candidate Standards and the Educational Technology Standards for Administrators. Code Me. R. tit. 05-071 Ch. 114, § 2
Does state policy require field experience as part of school leader preparation programs? Yes. School building level administrator preparation programs must provide an internship that meets five specified program standards. State policy provides additional requirements. Candidates prepared for building administrator certification through the traditional route are required to complete a 15 week internship. Code Me. R. tit. 05-071 Ch. 114, § 2
Does state policy allow for innovative or experimental preparation programs? No state policy found. However, state policy notes that the state board of education is committed to promoting the development of innovative and collaborative practices in programs for the preparation of education personnel. Code Me. R. tit. 05-071 Ch. 114, § 1
Certification and Licensure
What are the initial school leader certification requirements? To qualify for a Certificate 040: Building Administrator, a candidate must:
  • Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
  • Hold a master's degree, in any field, from an accredited college or university
  • Meet the ISLLC standards, as defined, through completion of a Maine-approved program for principals, through coursework/equivalent training or by receiving a passing score on the School Leaders Licensure Assessment
  • Complete coursework in 1) teaching exceptional students in the regular classroom, 2) federal and Maine civil rights law and education laws and 3) special education law
  • Complete an approved internship or practicum aligned with adopted ISLLC standards
  • Have at least three years of satisfactory public/private school teaching experience or three years of equivalent teaching experience in an instructional setting (e.g., military, business, post-secondary institution, industry or schools).

Note: The internship requirement can be achieved through completion of 1) a graduate-level state-approved administrator internship or practicum for a minimum of 15 weeks, 2) a minimum one full year of employment as an assistant principal or principal out-of-state or 3) a mentorship plan approved by the commissioner for one academic year.
Code Me. R. tit. 05-071 Ch. 115, Pt. II, § 4
What are the requirements for school leaders licensed out-of-state? Out-of-state applicants are held to the same requirements as in-state candidates. However, one full year of employment as an out-of-state assistant principal or principal satisfies the internship requirement. Code Me. R. tit. 05-071 Ch. 115, Pt. I, § 8

Is there an alternative route to initial certification? Candidates may satisfy preparation requirements through equivalent coursework/training experiences or through successful completion of the School Leaders Licensure Assessment. Code Me. R. tit. 05-071 Ch. 115, Pt. II, § 4

© 2021 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3636 or

Your Education Policy Team