Open Enrollment Policies: State Profile

Open Enrollment Policies: State Profile - Oklahoma

Last updated: October 2017

Open-enrollment policies allow a student to transfer to a public school of his or her choice. There are two basic types of open-enrollment policies.

  • Intradistrict: students transfer to another school within their resident school district.
  • Interdistrict: students transfer a school outside of their resident district.

Depending on the state, open-enrollment policies are mandatory, voluntary, or both. 

  • Mandatory policies require districts to participate in the program.
  • Voluntary policies allow districts to choose whether to participate in open enrollment, often allowing school districts the discretion to enter into transfer agreements with other districts.
  • States with both mandatory and voluntary policies usually require mandatory open enrollment in low-performing schools or districts, in defined regions of the state or in other specific circumstances while allowing voluntary open enrollment in the rest of the state.

View the full open enrollment database here.  Please contact Micah Ann Wixom (303.299.3673 or with questions or comments.

Open Enrollment Survey 2017
Does the state have open enrollment programs? Yes, voluntary interdistrict; mandatory interdistrict for children of active-duty military personnel who meet specific criteria.

Students may transfer to other districts with the approval of the receiving district's board of education, and boards must automatically approve transfers for students seeking to enroll in a grade not offered by the sending district. Participating school districts must create policies for accepting or rejecting transfer applications, including criteria about the availability of programs, staff, or space. School districts must have policies for transfers of students that are children of active-duty military. 

Citations: Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 70, § 8-101.1 through § 8-113 Okla. Admin. Code 210:10-1-18

Do desegregation provisions impact open enrollment programs? Not addressed.
Does the state set priorities for districts to follow when accepting students for open enrollment? No. However, children of district teaching personnel who are not residents of the school district are allowed to transfer upon approval of the receiving school district. Siblings of transfer students may transfer to the receiving district with approval from that district's board of education.

Citations: Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 70, § 8-113 Okla. Admin. Code 210:10-1-18

Who is responsible for student transportation? Upon the request of a parent, receiving districts may provide transportation only within the receiving district's boundaries. However, two school districts may make an agreement allowing the receiving district to transport students inside the boundaries of the sending district.

Citations: Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 70, § 9-101, § 9-105

© 2021 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3636 or

Your Education Policy Team